Monday, 11 April 2011

Things I Want to do in Germany

I have found myself becoming listless (Christian used that word as well) since arriving in Germany. To go from a travelling auditor to a stay-at-home-mom-slash-student has really thrown me. Some days I feel like one of the luckiest girls in the world, some days I feel as though there is something more I should be doing. This, I have learned thanks to online articles and talking to new friends in the same boat, is part and parcel of being a Trailing Spouse.

The trailing spouse syndrome is not a new thing, in fact the term has been around since the 80s when couples and even families were getting more and more mobile as work became more and more global. There is even a trailing spouse group I am a part of in the english speaking community of Frankfurt. Almost all of those who join are women, some mothers, who have given up what we term as "our individuality" to make life with hubby and family work.

While all the support helps,it was while researching the phenomenon more to get a deeper understanding of what I was going through that I cam across an article on "trailing spouses." It said that one way to have more focus amidst all the changes going on is to make a list of all the things one can do as a continued hobby or interest, or something new that one can only do in the new city or country one is in.

So, in the spirit of taking experimentation, here is my list so far...

1. Learn German (more of a necessity than a want, I must admit, but still something I would like to do)
2. Lose A LOT of weight
3. Improve photography skills
4. Attend a creative writing class
5. Start my own online business
6. Dye my hair bright red (while I am not working and do not have to be presentable)
7. Start writing a book or short stories
8. Learn German cuisine (das Schnitzel... yum!)
9. Cook and bake more... who knew I had it in me?
10.Learn gardening

Who can say if I will be able to realize all these goals but, hey, a start is a start!

1 comment:

Christian said...

Love that list.

I am really interested in seeing that bright red hair!