Tuesday, 22 January 2008

The Story So Far...

Since I've annoucned my engagement (to a certain Mr. Funke, hence the title of the blog), everyone's been asking to 1) see the ring and 2) know how Mr. Funke proposed. While I do promise to post pictures of the ring (and interview my fiance and his paternal grandmother Ila, who made the ring herself, about it), here is the story of how my fiance and HTB (husband-to-be, a common term in most wedding forums)proposed.

Date: November 25, 2007
Time: Before, during and after dinner
Event: The Engagement

My fiance and I were on one of our "date nights"* at our favorite local Italian restaurant. As usual, we had a full, delicious meal and half a bottle of red wine (those of you who know me will know that I do not drink a lot). Over dinner we had our usual laughing conversations, our usual petty arguments (was I too red in the face to be sober or not?) and our usual handholding. All in all, it was a great night.

We decided to end the night early by heading home to cuddle with our pet dog, Warrick* and to snuggle in bed and continue a romantic conversation. Namely, how did we get this far given that the odds were against us (culture, my family, distance, age, etc)? We both came to the lighthearted conclusion that, after almost five years of being together (through tears, laughter and more laughter), it must really be something strong and special holding us together.

That said, my fiance then asked me to hold out my hand, and placed a small, round-shaped box on it. I was confused as I thought it was a pillbox, and that he was force-feeding me more vitamins*. I naively asked him what was inside and he asked me to open it, already fighting a cheeky grin that was threatening to give his secret away.

I opened the box slowly and gasped when I saw the sparkle of a triangular diamond forged into a platinum band. I'm quite sure I said something silly like, "No way!" and started fighting back the tears. Not helping on this matter, my HTB started telling me all the things he liked about our relationship and how great I was (needless to say, I was blushing at this point). He then popped the question, and when I said yes (as if there was any other answer to say), released his grin and slipped the band over my left ring finger.

It was a "typical us" proposal - comfy and funny at the same time.

*More on this in the blog http://theleatherdiaries.blogspot.com/

No comments: