Sunday, 5 June 2011

I Wish

At a baptism ceremony today, the priest asked everyone present what they wish for the newly baptised baby. I thought that it was a nice, personal touch, not only because it got everyone involved in the ceremony, but it was also a great way to welcome a child into the world. While I am Catholic and declare now that I do believe in God, I am not one for pomp and ceremony, while I feel that private prayer and deeds speak louder to my attributes as a Christian. However, this sharing of wishes made me realize that there is something to having a space and time where the proverbial village can start raising a child.

My wish for Adrian Ralf (also my godson, by the way) was that he would have the courage to dream big, and to be able to fulfil these dreams with the support of the people who love him and through his own will and determination. It is what I wish for Sophie, and for all the children of the world. While they still have in them the wonder and the fearlessness to explore the world, I wish they would be brave and venture further than they ever thought it possible, that they go on to do things that make them stronger and better than the generation before.

Cliché? Probably. But it is what is in my heart. When I look at Sophie touching something new, I see the wonder in her eyes and I wish that she will always look at the world like that. I wish that no matter how many knocks life throws her she will be able to get back up on her feet with the same sparkle in her eyes. When I see her trying to stand on her own or trying to master the stairs in our house with her grunts and wheezes, I wish that she would be as tenacious in working towards any goal she sets for herself. When I look at Sophie sleeping I wish too that I could be a better mother to her, that I could give her the support an room to grow, and that she will one day be able to go off on her own, secure in the knowledge that I will always be there for her no matter what.

No comments: