My first German course finished last Friday and, while I am feeling sad and nostalgic, I am happy I went through it and made a lot of good friends along the way. There´s nothing like facing a common challenge that binds strangers together in formal and informal language, in different adjective endings and double-connectors, ´til death do us part. We have had a lot of laughs in our little class, and I also ended up meeting some other fun people through the school. While I feel a sense of accomplishment in learning a new language, it is on par with the relief and excitement I feel in having new people to practice it with.
This is especially great for me because since I gave birth to Sophie, I feel like I´ve been living in a little family bubble, only occasionally heading out to meet and greet some family and friends. It was a comfortable - albeit too comfortable - lifestyle, and when we upped and moved to Germany, I was scared because I didn´t want the bubble to burst. I know that a lot of new moms feel the same way, that having a cosy routine in place can be both a blessing and a curse. On one hand, the last thing you want is to have to dress up for a night out with strangers after a long day of nappy changing, feeding, tantrums, etc. On the other hand, having only your baby, husband, and, if you´re lucky, other frustrated moms for company does make you wonder if you´ve lost that little bit of yourself and become a slave to routine.
When we were in London it was easier to go out because I would have friends basically pushing me out the door or coming over to visit (massive THANK YOU for not allowing me to turn into a couch potato). Work also helped me get out of bed everyday in spite of the juggling act that would take place during the day: baby, work, me, baby, baby, work, work, work, house, husband. Being forced to talk to other people, to email colleagues and issue reports, it really brought me out of my maternity leave comfort zone and forced me out into the "real world" again. Likewise, going to school, meeting new friends, doing homework... all to learn a new skill, made me realize the real world has more than its share of perks.
While everything good comes with a price, it is the hard work that you put into it that makes the good thing worth so much more. I´m glad I persevered and stuck to the lessons, that I allowed one teacher to talk me into staying in the advanced class. I guess since the birth I´ve wondered when I could finally take it easy, but the rewards I am getting out of this experience makes me question whether I will want anything "the easy way" ever again.
1 comment:
Advanced class???do you now master german? happy to hear that! :-) Pier
Post a Comment