I've just finished my first week in intensive German classes and all I can say (for the moment)is a big, whooping, "WHEW." It really has been an very busy week, what with daily three hour classes and another three hour afternoon tutorial sessions. To top it off there was homework, and lots of it. In all classes (and as much as possible in the tutorials) using any other language other than German to ask questions and get your point across is discouraged, so the first day was trying, to say the least. Whenever I had a question on what a word meant, I had to be able to ask for an explanation in German and I had to have my dictionary ready in case I couldn't understand the explanation either!
Still, intensive does mean intensive so I cannot complain. In fact, I do not think I am in the mood to complain because (aside from being too tired) for the first time since Sophie was born, this is a new activity that I feel challenged by. To be honest, it is probably one of the make or break experiences that will determine whether or not Germany is the place for me (of course I have to take into consideration that it is the best place for Christian at the moment). So far I am taking everything in stride and putting the work in. Obviously I will have to get over the fear of sounding stupid and try to speak a few sentences here and there. Christian is helping immensely through encouragement (especially after the first day) and forcing me to work and practice.
I am hoping that I get into the language more, because it really is very expressive (if at times too rule bound to play around with or too illogical to understand). Cross fingers for me, please, and watch this space!
No comments:
Post a Comment