Thursday, 14 February 2008

Post Gown Trials

Together with Elisa (my lovely colleague who graciously encouraged me to have this experience and wouldn't let me cancel), I headed over to Sask Fifth Avenue for gown trials... with Carolyn there to suggest, comment and (force) fit, it truly was a one-of-a-kind moment. The kind that you look back on and laugh and sigh happily afterwards.

First off, I was given cold water to refresh myself, and time to peruse the catalogue that detailed when designers would come in for their trunk shows. Tip: to all future brides out there, this is a great chance to see the new gowns by the designer of your choice in a relaxed setting, usually with champagne on hand! Some stores are on an appointment only basis, while others usually consider this event to be an open party.

I was then led to a big room full of chairs and mirrors, as well as a cute center stage, raised in the middle of the room. This was where Carolyn would drape down dress after dress and help me step into it. The raised platform made it easier to see the flow of the dress in its full length, and it also made it easier to see how the train of some dresses looked "full bloom".

Out of the eight or so dresses I tried on (in the span of an hour), there were two that really caught our eyes (three pairs of eyes are crucial - the eyes of an honest friend, the eyes of the attendant, and your own): one was a strapless, lacey Melissa Sweet dress that had a short but sweet chapel train; the other was a ball-gown, halter, heavy satin dress by Vera Wang. These were both very different looks (romantic versus modern), but these were the dresses I didn't want to take off.

Two more bridal salons to go, and I'm hoping to leave with some good top five choices...Cross fingers!

No comments: